My malas and bracelets are made on strong nylon and stretch cord and I work with high quality gemstones, tassels and amulets. But there are a few things you need to think about so your piece don’t break.
By Petra Axlund Stegman
* Don’t sleep with your yoga jewelry. Store in dry, clean place.
* Never try to force your mala over your wrist.
* Don’t shower with your yoga jewelry. Contact with water will make your jewelry eventually break, especially if strung on stretch cord.
* Don’t expose to salt water.
* Don’t expose to harsh chemicals, such as chlorine, detergents or lotions and perfumes with chemicals and fragrance. Chemicals will erode the finish of your gemstone.
* Avoid wearing your yoga jewelry in any activity where there might be high impact. A blow can damage and crack the stones. Never throw a gemstone on a hard surface, like a marble kitchen counter or glass table.
* Don’t use jewelry cleaner or clean with water, just wipe off with damp cloth if you need to clean it.
* Gemstones can fade if exposed to strong sun.
* Keep gemstone jewelry out of reach of children.
* A tassel will break if someone pulls hard on it.
* Same rules as gemstone beads, don’t sleep, shower, swim or expose to chemicals.
* All wood beads will darken with time, and become a bit glossier from contact with skin. The more you wear them the more beautiful patina they will get.
* If your mala or bracelets starts to look dry, don’t try to wash or rub with oils. Just start wearing it more. The oil from your skin is all they need.
* To bring back the scent of Sandalwood beads, just store in a zip lock bag over night. That’s it!
* Avoid contact with oils directly on the beads.
RE-STRING YOUR MALA
Eventually all malas will need to be re-strung. But just know that if and when your mala breaks it just symbolizes a broken karmic cycle. It’s a sign to bring new intentions into your life as your current ones no longer serve you.
I will re-string your mala for free if it breaks for no reason within a year from purchase, but you need to follow these gemstone care “rules” for this to apply. And also, you need to still have all the beads. I do not re-string for free if you slept with your jewelry, forced your mala around your wrist, went swimming or showered with it, exposed it to chemicals or had a child or an animal break it.
- Restring mala fee $35 (free within the year of purchasing).
- Restring bracelets fee $5 + (free within six months of purchasing).